The 5 Best Low Profile Ceiling Fans Reviewed
A low profile ceiling fan is an ideal way to style and cool a low-ceiling living space. Also known as low-profile 'hugger' fixtures or flush mount fans, they are installed 'flush' against the ceiling (Source).
Hugger fans don't use downrods (that long stem that traditionally attach the fan to the ceiling) which enables the fan to hang at least 7 feet above the floor, a recommendation given by the National Electric Code (NEC) (Source).
Lower profile hugger fixtures produce a cooling effect in dwelling places throughout the summer time and deliver warmth in a home throughout the winter months (Source). There are several premium quality manufacturers that produce near to the ceiling fans.
|Room Dimensions||Ideal Fan Size|
|Up to 75 ft2||29 – 36 in.|
|76 – 144 ft2||36 – 42 in.|
|144 – 225 ft2||44 in.|
|225 – 400 ft2||50 – 54 in.|
Low profile hugger fixtures are perfect for sleeping rooms, workplaces, and lofts along with manufactured properties. Nevertheless, they can't be attached to sloped or vaulted ceilings because of the fan blades’ closeness to the ceiling. Check out the video below to see how to install one of these flush-mountable fans:
Installing a Hugger Ceiling Fan
We took a look at some of our favorite flush-mounted ceiling fans, providing Airflow and Blade Span information to help you pick the best low-profile option for low-ceiling areas in your home or business.
|Flush mount Ceiling Fans||Our Rating||Price||Blade Span||Mounting||Airflow|
|The Hatherton Antique Ceiling Fan||4.6||$||46"||Flush||3,422 CFM|
|The Minka Aire Traditional Concept Ceiling Fan||4.5||$$||44"||Flush||4,940 CFM|
|The Conroy Ceiling Fan||4.8||$||42"||Downrod||2,825 CFM|
|The Stratmoor Ceiling Fan||4.2||$||42"||Downrod; Flush||4,098 CFM|
|The Adalyn Ceiling Fan||4.6||$$||48"||Downrod||4,700 CFM|
The 5 Best Low Profile Ceiling Fans
Our Other Fan Favorites
Flush-mounted (hugger) ceiling fans are designed for tight spaces, providing a low-profile option that installs 'flush' to your home's low-ceiling (Source).The term 'hugger' refers to how they seem to "hug" the ceiling.
Flush-mounted designs are great since it's generally recommended that there be a minimum of 7 feet between fan blades and your floor and for metal fan blades that minimum is actually 10 feet (Source).
To accommodate these spacing requirements, a low-profile option like a hugger ceiling fan helps bridge the gap, so to speak. Many buyers install them in walk-in closets, kitchen areas with low ceilings, workshops, bedrooms and dens (Source).
This attractive fan has a bit of traditional charm that many users say has made a beautiful addition to their large, but low-ceiling, living areas. It can actually be used with ceilings that are as low as less than 8 feet. It has an uncluttered style finished with a color white coating. Its efficiency level is also quite high promising to give reliable operation while offering heating & cooling savings throughout the year. It has a three-speed setting and uses a whisper wind motor to make its operation quiet. It also employs an anti-vibration technology that is also a patented Hunter invention.
This is a 52 inch low profile ceiling fan that will maximize air flow in the room, creating a solution that is perfect for low ceiling areas. It has been designed to be ideal for both outdoor and indoor use. It features a housing that is oil rubbed bronze with the elegantly designed blades having a dark walnut/cherry dual finish. It has a four speed wall control that allows you to adjust to your preferred light and speed settings in an easy way.
This low profile ceiling fan uses a ‘whisper wind’ motor, delivering air movement that is ultra-powerful without producing any noise. It will make a solid addition to any room with a low ceiling. It has blades equipped with Hunter’s patented coating known as Dust Armor nanotechnology that has the ability to repel up to 58% of dust build- up.
These low profile ceiling fans offer both functionality and aesthetics to your low-ceiling’d room. Turn any large room that has a low ceiling into an elegant space with great air-flow by installing any of these great products.
What Are The Benefits of Flush Mounting?
Prior to the creation of suitable home heating methods and insulation, quite a few properties were constructed with low profile or dropped ceilings which helped keep heat in a room and living space. Heating and insulation has advanced drastically since that time.
These Hugger ceiling fans, also referred to as flush-mount or low-profile fans, provide a neat cooling method since they are mounted flush up against your ceiling without having to use a downrod, which enables your fan to hang a minimum of 7' over the floor as suggested by the NEC.
These days, property owners residing in more aged properties encounter soaring temperatures throughout the summer time as heat will become trapped in little living areas. Inhabitants may think that there are no other choices but to endure the uncomfortable temps without performing huge home renovations or the ability to install a standard ceiling fan since this necessitates that the fan blades hang at the very least 7' over the flooring.
Hugger ceiling fans consist of most of the exact same characteristics as regular ceiling fans. Hugger fans rest flush up against the ceiling, which makes them perfect for areas with lower ceilings.
- Include lights: Incorporating a low profile ceiling fan along with lights in your low ceiling space is a superb method to cool down and light up any kind of room in your home.
- A Variety of Sizes: These types of fans can be purchased in a variety of dimensions, which includes compact hugger ceiling fans that give a unique effect to a young child's bedroom or fun area.
- Outdoor Use: Damp-rated flush mount outside ceiling fans are manufactured using moisture proof components specifically designed for moist and damp areas. These kinds of fans are perfect for porches and decks.
- Many Styles and Finishes: Hugger fans can be found in numerous designs and surface finishes, from modern to conventional. A white hugger ceiling fan is a well-liked selection amongst the coatings.
If you have a low roof and require air flow for small spaces- it does not always mean you have restricted choices to choose from. Air-circulating ceiling accessories incorporate a number of the exact same characteristics as conventional ceiling fans.
Brushed nickel hugger fans lie flat up against the ceiling, which makes them perfect to fit your décor in regions with low ceilings. You will get design and style whilst adding cooling to your present dwelling areas, even may allow an area to be lit up. Setting up hugger ceiling fans with a light kit in your low ceiling space is an excellent method to air-cool and lighten up any room.
Since these fans don’t call for a downrod, and hang up a minimum of seven feet over the floor, which makes it measure up to modern NEC requirements.These hugger fans are also great for incorporating functions of normal ceiling fans, like remote controls and lighting, for your outdoor patio or backyard.
These kinds of fans can be purchased in a variety of sizes and types, which includes oil rubbed fans that give a fancy feel to a play area. Searching through every one of the kinds, styles, and fashions will open your imagination to the numerous options and fashionable options you could have in your home.
What are users saying?
If you are in the market for a flush mounting ceiling fan, one of our favorites is the Minka Aire Concept 3 ceiling fan- its users provide solid feedback for this particular option, saying that it runs very quiet and that stylistically it features clean lines with a minimalistic appearance.
One buyer was concerned that since they had run into problems using remote controls produced by other fan manufacturers in the past, they were pleased to discover that the switch functions independently from some of the other fans they have in their house. Another buyer applauds how quiet the major air is, but she complains that the wall control is cheap-looking, kind of hard to use, without clearly labeled on and off buttons. She also is not a fan of the halogen lighting- saying that it's a bit too dim for her 14' x 14' room.
Another buyer purchased this particular flush-mount ceiling fan for outdoor use- installing it in a gazebo, and working it with a remote as well as a wall switch.
Another option that received a favorable response from its buyers was the Hunter Fans Conroy ceiling fan. Users say that it runs very quiet, no matter which of the three-speed settings it is set on, and it is easy on the eyes as well as easy to assemble and install. One satisfied buyer says that they purchased three of these particular fans to install in each of their three spare bedrooms.
They were particularly impressed by the different color options available for the fan blades. They also found that it was a good size option for smaller bedrooms. Some negative things reviewers pointed out that the chandelier bulbs this fan uses tend to burn out kind of quickly and one buyer said that the glass globe that came included was cracked upon receipt, but that the manufacturers were happy to replace it without any issue.
Another buyer says that after extended use the fan became loud during operation- her husband was able to dissect it and discovered that a wire had become dislodged and was hitting against the motor as the ceiling fan was running. Once the wire was wrapped around the mount the noise stopped and the fan began running whisper quiet once again.
The Hunter Fans Hatherton fan was another option that received a positive response from its user base- it features a three-speed pole chain and reversible blades, both of which were popular features with those who purchased it. Reviewers were happy that they purchased a ceiling fan with lights- with one buyer saying that the instructions were surprisingly easy to understand and implement.
The packaging was also pretty thoughtful so buyers haven't experienced any broken parts in shipping. One reviewer who bought a pair of these ceiling fans installed them in their dining room and living room, saying that the amber and cherry-colored light globes made the living areas attractively illuminated.
Another buyer purchased the ceiling fan to circulate air inside of their overheated condominium, saying that it produced great airflow, but extended use did increase her electricity bill. Another buyer installed it in a low-ceilinged bedroom and said that with all of the different color options available they were able to select one that matched the natural white decor of their living space- but were not completely satisfied with the brightness of the lights.
One of the first user submitted flush-mounted ceiling fans we took a look at was the Yosemite home Decor 48 inch ceiling fan. It is advertised as a modern and clean-looking option with blades that have a 12° pitch, designed to operate quietly but powerful way. Buyers were impressed by the fans reversibility-saying that by using a switch you can easily change the fans rotation direction. This flush-mounted chrome-finished ceiling fan is controlled by a remote in, and its light is only adjusted from a wall switch.
- One buyer we spoke with said they installed it in their bedroom and it is resistant to collecting dust.
- On the downside, buyers have said it does produce and audible humming noise, though the higher you install this on the ceiling the less likely you will actually hear that.
- Another reviewer were told us that while he was impressed with the design and air circulation powers, he does wish that the light fixture provided stronger illumination.
- Another homeowner have this installed by electrician in her kitchen and she is pleased with its ability to cool down her cooking areas during the hot summer months though she does wish that it could be controlled from the fan itself in addition to its remote control capabilities.
Another flush mount option users submitted to us is the Hampton Bay Hugger brushed nickel ceiling fan. It is advertised as a reversible bladed option- on one side there is a maple finish on the other or there is a Walmart finish- effectively letting you adjust the color scheme to match the interior decor of your living room, bedroom, kitchen and other areas of your home.
As well, the rotation is completely reversible on three different speed settings including low, medium and high. It is best used indoors on the rooms measuring up to 20' x 20'. From The ceiling to the bottom of the light measures 11 7/8 inches.
- Many buyers we spoke to purchase these from Home Depot and are generally impressed by the design, ease of assembly and effectiveness of air circulation, though some have complained that it makes a bit too much noise for their liking.
- Another reviewer told us that he purchased an adjustable mounting ride to modify this flush-mounted fan- saying he installed it in his bedroom and is pleased by the increased air circulation that effectively cools down his resting area during muggy Alabama nights.
A third flush-mounted option is the hardware house Arcadia oil rubbed bronze hugger fan. It features a pull chain control, complete reversibility of its airflow, an optional light kit, and a candelabra base.
- One buyer we spoke with who took the initiative to perform his own measurements says that if you don't use the light kit the height of the ceiling fan is 8 inches but with it it is 12 inches.
- Another reviewer told us that this was a solid hugger air circulator for his bedroom saying that even as a light sleeper at its highest setting and it doesn't interfere with his rest.
- One homeowner was slightly disappointed with the length of the fans blades, saying that they are 10 inches long- so before warned that this is a small fan. While small, buyers were impressed by the power of its airflow and the strength of its candelabra lighting.
- The pull chain that comes included was too small for many buyers- so they resorted to complementing it with their own pull strings to make it easier to manually adjust the speed of the fan.
- Other buyers who were on the lookout for a particularly small hugger ceiling fan says that it has even been effective in tool shops- providing absolutely quiet operation at its lowest speed setting.