The [5 Best] Outdoor Ceiling Fans With Lights
Outdoor ceiling fans with lights provide cooling air circulation for porches, gazebos, and other outside areas. The included light bulbs are frequently housed in attractive, removable casings to supply ambient illumination.
As an exterior cooling fixture, installing one of these fans will let you extend your living space to areas outside of your home. Outdoor ceiling fans with lights provide home owners a convenient and comfortable means of spending time outside during the warmer spring and summer months- great if you are planning on having company over for family barbeques and backyard pool parties (Source).
If you're unsure about ceiling-fan sizing, use this handy guide to help make your decision.
When it comes to outdoor ceiling fans, you can find small ones ideal for outdoor spaces sized less than 100 square feet such. A balcony area, for example. They can also work in certain indoor areas like bathrooms, kitchens, panties & walk-in closets, helping to decrease indoor humidity (Source).
Choosing An Outdoor Ceiling Fan
There are also large outdoor ceiling fans, which are designed for outside spaces that are larger than 300 square feet like a sprawling patio or big gazebo. You'll also find flush mounted outdoor ceiling fans- these are best installed in outdoor living areas where the the ceiling height is less than eight feet.
Higher than 8 feet, you'll be looking at purchasing a downrod mounted outdoor ceiling fan so that the fan isn't too far above the ground for you to experience cooling air circulation (Source).
We've compiled a list of some of our favorite outdoor ceiling fans- take a look at our top picks.
Lighted Outdoor Ceiling Fans Compared
|View Walmart Prices||Outdoor Ceiling Fans||Our Rating||Price||Blade Span||Mounting||Airflow|
|View ebay Prices||View Walmart Prices||View Amazon.com Fans|
|The August Grove Outdoor Ceiling Fan||4.6||$$||26"||Downrod||2,374 CFM|
|Hunter Fans 54" The Hunter Fan Key Biscayne Outdoor Ceiling Fan||4.8||$||54"||Downrod||6,238 CFM|
|The Fanimation Kaya Outdoor Ceiling Fan||4.7||$$||52"||Downrod||4,995 CFM|
|The Minka Aire RainMan Outdoor Ceiling Fan||4.8||$$||54"||Downrod||5,470 CFM|
|The Harbor Breeze Twin Outdoor Ceiling Fan||4.2||$||74"||Downrod||4,450 CFM|
Choosing the Right Size Ceiling Fan
Length of Longest Wall in Room
Less than 12 feet
12 to 15 feet
More than 15 feet
Best Ceiling Fan Width
36 inches or less
40 to 48 inches
52 inches or more
The 5 Best Lighted Outdoor Ceiling Fans
Another favorite of ours is the Merrimack 52 inch antique-style outdoor ceiling fan. This vintage, outdoor ceiling fan includes a light, five weather-resistant blades, a 52-inch span that makes it perfect for large outdoor areas, a remote control option to adjust the light settings and fan speed, and a convenient downrod mounting installation. Merrimack says that its AC motor is equipped to generate 5188 CFM air flow.
- Buyers say that if you are looking to install two of these Merrimack outdoor ceiling fans, whether they be in a barn or an enclosed patio area, you just need to synchronize the fans at the same time with a single remote.
- In order to do that, what you'll have to do is to simultaneously press on the lowest speed button and the highest speed button until the LED light blinks three times- that indicates that the two fans are now synchronized.
- One home repair person told us that these Merrimack lighted outdoor ceiling fans can't be flush-mounted- but the downrod provides the flexibility needed for creating adequate airflow.
- Another reviewer, who said these are among the best outdoor ceiling fans with lights he could find online, explained to us that he had these bronzed fans installed by a professional electrician who did the wiring so that he could work them from a wall light switch.
- Changing the lightbulb isn't too difficult either, reviewers told us, saying that the glass bowl that encloses the lightbulb requires a hand screw to remove to adjust and replace the existing light fixture.
- Another buyer said that the included 6-inch down rod is pretty easy to install, but you can always purchase a different option if you want greater length on the downrod.
- Since the Merrimack's light settings can be adjusted independent of the remote control, buyers warn that if this is a problem for you- it's something you should consider prior to purchase.
- Another reviewer who installed it on his back porch says that at its highest speed setting it does emit some annoying noise-but because this is an outdoor ceiling fan it isn't too much of an issue.
Another all-weather ceiling fan that comes with a light is the Hunter Biscayne 54-inch option. It features a proprietary motor called WhisperWind, generates quiet but powerful performance helping to cool you down outside whether you are relaxing on a patio or on a porch enjoying a sultry, but humid, evening. Hunter advertises the convenience of a pull chain that lets you quickly perform speed adjustments on the fan as well as turning it on and off. As well, Hunter ships it with an integrated light kit that includes an attractive white glass case- a pair of medium base bulbs are included.
- One seasoned home remodeler advises new users to investigate purchasing longer style downrods- he told us that if you are working on an angled or higher-sloped ceiling, a longer downrod can be purchased from Home Depot, Lowe's or online in longer lengths ranging from 12 all the way up to 72 inches.
- Another reviewer told us that this Hunter outdoor ceiling fan was an easy install- it ended up moving air around an enclosed outdoor area sufficiently, all with an attractive, vintage appearance that matches their home decor.
- On the downside, the lightbulbs included by Hunter, some users thought, were a little bit too dim for their liking and the lack of a remote control was an inconvenience for some buyers.
- One reviewer that lives down south in the United States says that during summers, when the temperature exceeds 90° on most nights, this fan provides a strong current of air that actually complements the air conditioning unit in and in an adjacent interior room of the home.
- This particular buyer concurred with a previous reviewer who criticized the the low output of Hunter's included lights- saying that while not too bright, you can read by it if the fan is close by, but really they are more for the ambience of the look than for pure utility.
- Reviewers we spoke to told us that regarding assembly, a common mistake is that when you are attaching the metal pieces that affix the Hunter blades and to attach them backwards- so be sure to carefully examine the illustrated instructions to prevent making this common error.
- In addition, since this is a relatively heavy outdoor ceiling fan, you'll want to ensure that you are installing it a structurally sound area to keep it hanging without it coming crashing down on your head one hot evening.
- Other buyers told us that if you are looking to circulate air on a covered deck or porch, this is a great-looking, vintage option that moves air effectively and efficiently, though as we have seen the included lights don't live up to many buyers expectations.
Another outdoor ceiling fan that comes with lights is the 52-inch Brentford ceiling fan. This is a particularly gorgeous walnut-colored option. Westinghouse advertises this as a coastal-themed fan that works well in humid and wet regions with weather proofed blades that are reversible. In addition, Westinghouse advises that this light-producing fan is best used in areas around 360 ft.²-especially if you are looking for a rustic, outdoor solution in your veranda, patio deck or inside of a gazebo. On a sidenote, Westinghouse is a great resource for perusing ceiling fans, particularly considering their robust catalog of options to accommodate standard ceilings, high ceilings, angled ceilings as well as low ceilings.
- One Westinghouse ceiling-fan buyer we interviewed says that while overall he considers this a gorgeous and high-powered ceiling fan for outdoor use, he does criticize the placement of the bulbs- they just do not radiate enough light.
- As well, you can't swap out the existing bulb and replace it with a higher wattage option because of the way the circuits are wired to shut off when detecting extra current.
- Reviewers were also impressed by the Westinghouse's blades themselves- because they are reversible they are particularly dynamic, with light and dark sides that enable you to effectively mix-and-match to color coordinate with your homes interior decor.
- Reviewers concur that Westinghouse produces especially beautiful ceiling fans- ideal for outdoor installations, with some buyers actually saying that the bulb provided a greater illumination than they had been led to believe.
- While this particular Westinghouse unit does not ship with a remote control, reviewers say that it's pretty easy to control with the chains, though some thought they could be longer but that will depend on the length of your downrod installation.
Another lighted outdoor ceiling fan is the Harbor Breeze twin fan. It features an incandescent bulb hidden in by frosted glass and a 74-inch span with wicker-styled blades. It ships with a pair of 60 W lightbulbs and is a down rod mounted option idea for a slope or flat ceilings and great for highly spacious rooms that measure over 20' x 20'. Buyers should be forewarned that it does not include a remote control but you can configure it to work with a universal remote. The way this is constructed, these are two independent fans on either end with separate motors-this means, that if one of them stops working, the other will continue to spin. However, you cannot turn one of the fans off and have the other one running.
- One reviewer told us that they installed it in their back porch area-a particularly long and spacious semi-enclosed outdoor area that required illumination a strong breeze and a quiet ceiling fan.
- Other buyers say that they have installed it in gazebos, but advise undecided buyers to check in with local retail stores like Lowe's and Walmart to see if they can find it for a cheaper price.
- One reviewer took the initiative to measure the length of the ceiling fan blades, reporting that they measure between 11 and 12 inches.
- Another buyer who was concerned about its ability to generate lighting inside of his dining room said that for undecided buyers it will really depend on how high the ceiling is and the length of the downrod you use to install it in your outdoor area.
- Handily, you can actually install a cap over the light if you aren't interested in illuminating outdoor areas with the ceiling fan.
Another ceiling fan with a light we examined was the Litex Knightsbridge 52-inch outdoor ceiling fan- it is an aged bronze outdoor option that includes candelabra bulbs. In terms of its particular measurements, from the ceiling to the blade will be 16.5 inches and from its absolute bottom to the ceiling is 26.5 inches.
This five bladed outdoor ceiling fan is marketed as an ideal complement to an enclosed patio- particularly great for areas of high humidity that require air circulation with a touch of vintage, craft decor.
As well, this remote-controlled outdoor ceiling fan also includes a light dimming feature that you can adjust from the remote that effectively complements a high-performance motor designed to be quiet but powerful at the same time.
- One buyer advised us that, yes, if you were to purchase two of these, you can configure a single remote to work with both ceiling fans at the same time.
- Another reviewer was somewhat displeased with the blade color, saying that initially they had been in the market for an oil rubbed bronze, but when they receive this in the mail from Home Depot, in their opinion the blades have too dark a coloration that almost resembles a pitch black.
- They did say that they are extremely satisfied with their purchase, however, saying that they installed on their vaulted ceiling exceptionally well, providing great airflow and many compliments from visiting neighbors who dined beneath it outdoors during the summer months.
- Another buyer cautioned new users to be exceedingly cautious during installation because the finish is prone to scratching. But you can always touch it up with a permanent marker if any of the scratches are too evident.
- Another reviewer says that for their installation the fan doesn't quite operate too well at high speed settings, saying that it ends up shaking a lot. Even with an aftermarket balance kit, this reviewer writes to us that it still experiences vibration issues that prevent him from endorsing it as a solid buy for outdoor use.
- Another interesting critique of the ceiling fan is that if you use the light casing with the included lightbulbs it produces a glistening disco ball effect that not all users enjoyed-though if you opt for opaque lightbulbs that have softer glows you will not experience this issue.
- Overall, buyers like how unique in appearance the ceiling fans are-and how effective the lights are for illuminating outdoor areas.
- It is a strong fan that produces an abundance of air flow with its highest setting being a truly powerful force that many reviewers told us was the strongest current they've experienced from a ceiling fan to date.
- However, some reviewers say that at high-speeds the fan is prone to wobbling, no matter how they have installed it.
- In addition, even professional electricians have had some difficulty configuring the frequencies of multiple fans- so some buyers have purchased more than one for outdoor use and have found they have to manually turn them off one by one, rather than employing the remote control for that purpose.
Just for aesthetic purposes, you may decide to buy one of these outdoor ceiling fans. The same applies to people who live in hot regions who have to install fans even in their outdoor facilities. Not matter your reason for installing it, you’ll need to select the best outdoor ceiling fans for your home. In doing so, you should check on a number of features that define the best outdoor ceiling fans.
Features that Define the Best Outdoor Ceiling Fans
Here below are some of the features that well define the best outdoor ceiling fans.
Well-designed: A major feature that defines an outdoor ceiling is in its design. They are usually characterized by beautiful design that is meant to make your outdoor areas even more attractive. The blades are at times curved to make them more aerodynamic and pleasing to the eye.
Three Speed Options: For more cooling, you should go for ceiling fans with three speed options for better air movement at high-speed settings.
Remote Control: A very important feature that the best outdoor ceiling fans should have is the remote control option. The remote control option allows you to enjoy the freedom of relaxation without having to walk to adjust your fan’s speed. For an outdoor ceiling fan, remote control is considered to be very essential.
Dust Proof Technology: The ceiling fan being used outdoor should also be dust proof. Any outdoor facility is bound to have dust and thus the need to protect the fan from the ever present dust. When buying your outdoor ceiling fan, it is important to check whether it has dust proof technology or not. If there is no guarantee of it being dust proof, then you should not buy it.
Powerful Motor: An outdoor ceiling fan should have an extremely powerful motor to enable it provide strong wind current and dependable performance.
Light brightness: As we have seen, some of the ceiling fan light fixtures just don’t have enough power to provide true outdoor illumination- check ahead on this if it’s important to you!
An outdoor ceiling fan is usually meant not just to bring a cooler environment in the outdoor facility but also to ensure that the facility looks beautiful. The aesthetic functions of outdoor ceiling fans can be improved if the fan has lights. Outdoor ceiling fans with lights offer the best option for your outdoor cooling system. Here below are some of the best outdoor ceiling fans with lights.
Best Outdoor Ceiling Fans with Lights:
This is one of the best outdoor ceiling fans with lights that you can get. It is a five-blade reversible ceiling fan that ensures you enjoy the best temperatures in your outdoor facility all year round. It has a gorgeous look resembling the old school lamp. Its look is nothing compared to the efficient motor which ensures smooth air circulation. This motor is so efficient that it has a lifetime warranty attached to it. The lighting offered by this ceiling fan is quite sufficient and thus serves well as an outdoor ceiling fan with lights.
This is a five-blade reversible ceiling fan meant to cater for outdoor needs. This is not any other ordinary outdoor ceiling fan that you see around; the Hunter Fan 59135 has a powerful motor that delivers an ultra-powerful air movement without producing noise. Its powerful motor makes it suitable for a large outdoor facility. The stainless steel hardware used to manufacture this ceiling fan makes it suitable for outdoor since it is dust resistant. The light kit has been synced well with ceiling fan. The light is enclosed in a painted cased white glass to enhance its beauty.
This is yet a unique ceiling fan with lights by Westinghouse. The 48 inch five-blade outdoor ceiling fan is your ideal ceiling fan in wet locations. It can be used in large outdoor facilities of up to 144 square feet. Just like top ceiling fans, this one too has a reversible switch that allows the fan to thoroughly circulate cool or warm air. Therefore, it can be used all year round in all seasons. The powerful motor used in this fan moves a lot of air. It is for this reason that the motor has a lifetime warranty.
Using an outdoor ceiling fan with lights is very good. It is important to choose the best ceiling fan to enjoy the benefits of an efficient outdoor ceiling fan. The above-mentioned fans should give you a head start on getting the best outdoor ceiling fans with lights.